History of Kawameeh

HISTORY OF KAWAMEEH

Chief Kawameeh

Since Kawameeh Middle School was built on land that once belonged to an Indian Chief called Kawameeh, the Union Township Board of Education decided it was fitting and proper to have the school bear his name. Because of this distinction, we believe we are the only school in the United States with this name.

The early settlers, having fallen in love with the New Jersey shore and finding game and fish plentiful, agreed to pay the Indians four hundred fathoms of white or two hundred fathoms of black wampum. It also was agreed, upon taking title to the land, they were to pay the Indians twenty fathoms of trade goods, two made coats, two guns, two kettles, ten bars of lead, and twenty handfuls of powder.

This they did, and that is how Chief Kawameeh's land came into the possession of the white man on November 5, 1665. This territory became known as the "Elizabethtown Grant" and included what was then known as "Connecticut Farms."

September 17, 1953- Board asks meeting with town committee on Junior High School as enrollment reaches a new high.

Date Unknown- Public approves new high school by 610-55 votes.

June 17, 1954- Board purchases 9 acres of property for $24, 250 as junior High school site.

October 27, 1955-"Kawameeh" name of new Junior High school.

March 22, 1956- First of Kawameeh Faculty selected by School Board to serve at Junior High

Date Unknown- Kawameeh Junior High dedication ceremonies planned for Wednesday, September 6.

September 6, 1956- Kawameeh ready to receive pupils Kawameeh was the first of two junior high schools planned for the Township of Union.

Opening day was September , 1956 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.